Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Chen and Bagpipes?

Mull of Kintyre (Scotland)
I've found music to be very motivating for practicing my form. Spotify is the greatest invention for putting together custom playlists. I think I must have squandered several hours last weekend building a taiji playlist of bagpipe and Scottish tunes.  And, it's a work in progress so there are a few of my favorite Asian flavored tunes lingering on the list in case I decide to play longer. I can't figure out how to share here on blogger; but it is on my tumblr and in Spotify.

Lots of my old favorites from childhood:

  • Dark Island
  • Skye Boat Song
  • Mull of Kintyre
  • Muckin' O' Georgie's Bryr
  • Road to Dundee
  • Northern Lights of Aberdeen
  • Star of the County Down
  • Piobraicheachd of Donald Doughal
Nice slow airs great for meditation and maintaining balance and slow breathing. 

Mull of Kintyre - the place I desire
Of course there is a beach song playlist for goofing off and really playing with the Qi. 

All this will come together on the solstice - Mull of Kintyre is top of the list for the video right now; but that can change.

The more parts of the Chen form I learn the easier it becomes to learn and remember. I still panic when I see that I'm only 1/4 into the whole form. I just take it one at a time and work until I feel ready to learn a new part. Some days are better than others. I am nearly ready to move on from Green Dragon Flies Up from Water & Push with Both Hands to the next part.  I love the Chen form. It is very different from Yang. I will need to live with both for a while before I can feel the connection.


No comments:

Post a Comment