Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Snowflakes Falling Like Cherry Blossoms

Imagination and strong mind intent is important for the practice of Qigong and playing Taijiquan. I am reminded of this as we look out at the snow gently blanketing our Spring world. I conjured up rivers of green and falling pale pink cherry blossoms.

Some days it is hard to get going. I want to be outdoors but it's just a bit too cold. The flow of my thoughts is like a babbling brook incapable of the meditative calmness I seek. So, I follow the lead and do more Qigong. Eventually, standing meditation and a session of Inner Smile glows through. It's a bit like Push Hands with an invisible opponent. 

About a year ago I learned about Michael Nobbs in Wales who has created a marvelous and surprisingly large community around Creative Sustainability. He like all of those who are creative has struggled with personal limitations, resistance, and the nagging production consciousness that has invaded most cultures. In his podcasts, newsletters, and books he supports creative people to try "one small thing" each day. It is surprisingly simple; but, quite often incredibly difficult. It's easy to slide into the grooves and feel anxiety, guilt, and fatigue when we forget that one small thing each day is most adequate.  Michael has a brand new book published by Penguin Draw Your Life. It's a treasure! I'm not much on drawing. I've always wanted to be able to draw but have never felt confident about my ability. I really didn't think I could draw at all. But, I'm discovering that I can draw and I enjoy drawing. Michael's book makes it fun and painless. It doesn't take much of my time and it far more rewarding than playing games on my smartphone or Facebook. 

And on those days when the snow puts a damper on my Qi, I remember to do one small thing and then before I know it I'm working through the form or doing the whole Ba Duan Jin. It's too easy for me to go overboard and think I need to do it all everyday in detail with mindfulness and striving for perfection.  Bah - I really need to breathe, relax, and do that one small thing. It is enough on most days.

“When nothing is done,
nothing is left undone.”
― Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching: Book Of The Way

No comments:

Post a Comment